Hey everyone! I hope you're all well! The last couple of weeks have been quite busy and tiring with work and experiments and life, I've finally finished writing my transfer thesis, so tomorrow I will print and bind it.. Now I just need to pass my viva so I can progress with my PhD! *Fingers crossed!*
Today I thought I would share with you this recipe which I thought would work for Valentine's Day :) It's basically the recipe I've used previously for mince pies but instead you put a teaspoon of Nutella XD You could also put jam or I'm sure other fillings too!
275g self raising flour
150g butter, diced
25g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk, to glaze
Icing sugar for dusting
- Rub the flour and butter together with your fingers to resemble fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough egg to form a firm dough and knead until smooth. Wrap in oiled cling film and then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, Gas Mark 5. Grease 12 patty tins. Roll out the dough until it's 3mm (1/8in) thin on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 12 pastry cases using a 7.5cm (3in) fluted cutter and line the 12 patty tins.
- Fill the cases with about a teaspoon of nutella. Re-roll the remaining dough and make the lids.
- Dampen the edge of each pastry case with water, put the lids on top and press the edges together to seal. (Pierce a hole into the top of each lid with a skewer to allow steam to escape- I didn't do this step but the recipe calls for it)
- Brush each lid with milk and bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy! :)
|Mix the butter and flour together until it resembles breadcrumbs|
|Add in the sugar|
|Add in the egg and knead together to form a dough|
|Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to refrigerate for 30 minutes|
|Roll out the dough and cut out 12 circles using a 7.5cm fluted cutter|
|Add a dollop of Nutella|
|Cut out your hearts for the top (or any other shape)|
|Brush the cases with milk and bake for 15 minutes|
|Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!|
I hope you all have a lovely Valentine's Day! I'm going to Sprinkles with my PhD friend and I'm going to have the biggest waffle ever hehe! :)